Race-to-Zero Opening Sessions
Nov 3, 2020OverviewShare this post
On Monday 9 November 2020 between 9.30-10.30 GMT, The Club of Rome and Potsdam Institute of Climate Impact Research are joining forces to host the opening session “Systems Transformation” of the Race to Zero Dialogues. With presentations by the hosts Johan Rockström (Director of PIK), Sandrine Dixson-Declève (Co-President of The Club of Rome) and Kate Raworth (Author of Doughnut Economics) as well as a high-level panel discussion, this online event introduces participants to a new recovery, resilience and renewal agenda for people, planet and prosperity driven by systems change. The opening sets the tone for the sectoral dialogues by demonstrating that net-zero is not limited to zero carbon, but ultimately also stand for zero loss of nature, zero pandemics and zero poverty – with the aim to leave our children nothing (#LeaveOurChildren0).
With COP26 postponed, the Race to Zero Dialogues presents an important landmark in our calendars on the road to Glasgow and COP26. This session will mark the start of a ten-day series of virtual dialogues, with the objective to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonised economy ahead of COP26. These dialogues are a part of the UNFCCC’s Race to Zero global campaign, led by the High- Level Climate Champions for Climate Action – Nigel Topping and Gonzalo Muñoz – and aim to raise the ambition for a Decade of Action.
Complete programme for 9 November opening sessions:
- 9:00h-9:30GMT Opening words Race to Zero Dialogues: Nigel Topping and Gonzalo Muñoz, High Level Champions for Climate Action
- 9:30h-9:45GMT Emerging from Emergency: The Case for Systems Change: Johan Rockström, Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research & Sandrine Dixson-Declève, Co-President of The Club of Rome
- 9:45h-9:50GMT Systems Change in Practice: Kate Raworth, Author of Doughnut Economics, Senior Research Associate at Oxford University’s Environmental Change Institute
- 9:50h-9:55GMT Pre-recorded video messages: Chief Raoni Metuktire of the Kayapo people, Climate Activist
- 9:55-10:20GMT Live Reflections: Importance of Accelerating Systems Change and Action:
- Wanjira Mathai, Vice-President and Regional Director for Africa, World Resources Institute
- Cardinal Peter Turkson, Prefect, Dicastery for the Promotion of Integral Human Development
- Sheela Patel, Commissioner, Global Commission for Adaptation
- Luvuyo Madasa, Executive Director, Re Imagine South Africa
- Moderator: Adélaïde Charlier, Co-Founder, Youth for Climate Belgium
- 10:20-10:25GMT Pre-recorded video messages: Christiana Figueres, Founder of Global Optimism
- 10:25-10:30GMT Closing Reflections: The Case for Systems Transformation (Climate Action & Health: The Convergence of Tipping Points): Sir Andy Haines, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine & Joy Phumaphi, Executive Secretary of the African Leaders Malaria Alliance – Co-Chairs of the Pathfinder Commission
- 10:30-11:30GMT Keynote opening of the Climate & Health Dialogue: The necessary steps to achieve a healthy, equitable recovery from COVID-19 and drive a rapid decarbonisation of the world economy: World Health Organisation, partners and invited guests.
For more information about the programme click here.