Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM GMT+1
“Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.” ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
The Force in organisations is real. It can shape and control you and your organisation – or you can learn to shape them. This will be an introduction to the jedi arts of management cybernetics.
Benjamin is the chief executive of the Public Service Transformation Academy, a not-for-profit social enterprise working with the UK government, managing partner/founder at RedQuadrant. He studied philosophy, politics, and economics at Oxford University before becoming co-ordinator of a youth development charity. He then worked at the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham for seven years, from the front line to Adviser to Mayor/Leader. He has provided service consultancy at PricewaterhouseCoopers and Sector Projects (part of Capita group), where he worked with clients from the Government of Armenia to Birmingham City council. He has undertaken voluntary accreditation missions for Youth Business International in Bangladesh and Dominica.
Benjamin is passionate about commissioning, systems thinking, customer-led transformation, lean, and better ways to run and lead organisations. He holds a lean six sigma black belt and is an accredited power+systems trainer. Benjamin is a visiting lecturer in applied systems thinking at Cass Business School, City University, and has lectured at Nottingham Business School and Oxford Said/HEC Paris.
You can also see my series on ‘The Force’ in organisationa life (so far) here:
- Parts 1-4 (the purpose of the system is what it does, the hidden essential organisatioanal logic, the inevitability of the shaping of culture by leaders and systems, and the importance of ‘Worlds’) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/force-organisational-life-becoming-jedi-beginning-taylor/?trackingId=5%2F6s2gdPTQCkHn1jIxH1Tw%3D%3D
- Part 5 – how dominant/other patterns create system fragility https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6689067857860546560/
- Part 6 – the dark side of human responses https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6691582543411736576/?commentUrn=urn%3Ali%3Acomment%3A(activity%3A6691582543411736576%2C6691588169026027520)
- part 7 – structural coupling https://www.linkedin.com/posts/antlerboy_organisations-relationships-activity-6694138139893743616-NzI3/
- part 8 – control, framing, paradigms, politics, self-knowledge, and lust for power! https://www.linkedin.com/posts/antlerboy_organisations-society-activity-6696667153329983488-pa2L
- parts 5-8
- part 9 – fit and stretch of work to people https://www.linkedin.com/posts/antlerboy_society-organisations-activity-6699205886520500224-JWiR
- part 10 – Human needs and the impact of trauma, shame, and referred pain